The way it was comrade! On this tour we’ll take you on a journey back through time to show you how life was like during our 50 years of Communism, how Big Brother told us what to do and what not to do.
- Private walking tour with licensed guide
- Discover the history of Communism in Hungary
- Visit Liberty Square with the Monument to the Soviet Red Army
- Hear of the events of 1956 Revolution at the Parliament
- Catch the speeches of 1956, the protests, marches, witness and relive the Soviet Invasion through different areas of the city
- Refreshment stop in a retro lounge with snack
Dates & Times
Please check our booking calendar
At your accommodation
Conclusion point: City center, close to transport links
Full Tour Description
Go back to the good old times when we drove Trabants, drank spirits at work, lived in block flats, stood in banana lines, had two passports, coupon books, no TV on Mondays and no freedom of speech!
The 1956 Hungarian revolution which is one of the main themes of the tour. Later we’ll take an in depth look at the newly appointed Communist government after World War II. They put in place the conditions that led to the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. You’ll hear stories of the first protests and marches and the first shootings and killings. We’ll take you through some of the major areas where all the action happened. Learn of his part in the Hungarian revolution as well as the significance of Liberty Square and the last remaining tribute to the Soviet Union. Another stop will be the Hungarian Parliament where the first shots were fired, which instigated the revolt to take up arms. The 1956 Uprising was a short-lived battle on the streets. But many Hungarians maintained thoughts of freedom from Communism.
We have an extensive collection of many communist related artifacts and relics, such as red and blue passports, party member’s registration book, pins, medals, currency and huge placards to help your understanding of the propaganda we once lived under! The tour includes refreshment stop in a retro lounge.
English speaking expert guide, pick up, refreshment stop with drink and snack, public transport tickets during the tour
Entry fees to sights and museums, drop-off
Know before you book
- Not recommended to children under age 12
- Your will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 2 hours.
- Tour runs in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.