- 1 What do I need to know about traveling to Budapest?
- 2 What are the do’s and don’ts in Budapest?
- 3 What should you not wear in Budapest?
- 4 Is Budapest dangerous for tourists?
- 5 Is Budapest a walkable city?
- 6 What is Budapest famous food?
- 7 What is the best month to go to Budapest?
- 8 What should I avoid in Hungary?
- 9 Is there a strip in Budapest?
- 10 How do Hungarians greet each other?
- 11 Is shopping cheap in Budapest?
- 12 What do they wear in Hungary?
- 13 Can you drink tap water in Budapest?
- 14 How much money should I take to Budapest?
- 15 Is Budapest dangerous at night?
What do I need to know about traveling to Budapest?
- How to pronounce Budapest.
- Budapest is safe and you’re unlikely to be hassled.
- Validate your metro ticket.
- It’s cheaper to buy your bus/tram ticket before you board.
- Pedestrians have priority on crossings.
- Pay in Forints, not Euros.
- Budapest is very English-friendly.
- Don’t clink your glasses together.
What are the do’s and don’ts in Budapest?
Dos & Don ‘ ts in Budapest
- Dos in Budapest. Walk up Gellert Hill. Walk around the city at night. Use public transportation. Drink the tap water. Try Hungarian wine. Visit all the markets.
- Don ‘ ts. Avoid money exchange offices. Don ‘ t say that one joke. Watch for unregulated cabs. Don ‘ t miss a tour. Don ‘ t forget the toilet.
- Enjoy your time in Budapest.
What should you not wear in Budapest?
Tourist Alert: What Not to Wear in Budapest, Hungary
- Dirty Shoes or Trainers. Since we take public transportation practically everyday, we get to see a lot of footwear.
- Colourful Winter Coats. When the temperatures drop, I’ve always liked to beat the gloom with a bold coloured coat.
- Baseball Caps.
- Sweatsuits, Tracksuits and Yoga Pants.
- Other Tourist Giveaways.
Is Budapest dangerous for tourists?
The location score of 76 makes Budapest a safe city, especially for tourists. Minor crime acts are present, but very little standard precaution can make your stay safe. There are not violent criminal acts against tourists. Travelers just need to avoid areas that are risky for walking alone at night.
Is Budapest a walkable city?
As previous posters noted, it’s a very walkable city. Budapest is incredibly walkable, though, as has been pointed out, the metro can be a time saver.
What is Budapest famous food?
The Best Food in Budapest: What to Eat
- Goulash. I mean, how could we not start here?
- Chicken Paprikash. One of the most popular dishes in Budapest, chicken paprikash is essentially chicken coated in a sour cream sauce (heavy on the paprika, of course).
- Jókai Bean Soup.
- Túrós Csusza.
- Rakott Krumpli.
What is the best month to go to Budapest?
The best times to visit Budapest are from March to May and September through November. These shoulder seasons are when the weather is idyllic and the city isn’t overcrowded with tourists. However, the climate is always relatively mild, with temperatures rarely exceeding bearable levels.
What should I avoid in Hungary?
12 mistakes to avoid when visiting Budapest, Hungary
- Thinking that everything is pricey.
- Relying on tourist buses.
- Not validating your public transport ticket.
- Missing out on ruin bars.
- Not drinking Hungarian pálinka.
- Not eating traditional Hungarian food.
- Not checking the bill before paying.
- Forgetting to learn a few Hungarian expressions.
Is there a strip in Budapest?
Fortunately, a few Budapest strip clubs are safe to visit without fear of falling victim to a rip-off scam: downtown Pest’s P1 and P2 are the most popular locales for looking at lovely ladies in various stages of undress while sipping potent potables (both featuring plush facilities for lap dances), while 4Play Lounge
How do Hungarians greet each other?
Both men and women greet by shaking hands, although a man should usually wait for the women to extend her hand. The older generation may still bow to woman. Close friends kiss one another lightly on both cheeks, starting with the left cheek.
Is shopping cheap in Budapest?
You can buy things from them for much cheaper than in the touristy shops. The hand-painted Herend and Zsolnay Porcelains also make exclusive gifts. Both are world-famous brands and you probably can find them in your country, but in Hungary you can get them at lower prices.
What do they wear in Hungary?
It is very much a typical European style of dress so casual or smart casual will work well. Jeans are always popular and, teamed with lighter layers for the summer (e.g. camisoles or t-shirt) and warmer ones for the winter (try a long-sleeved top with a sweater), they will serve as a versatile base to your wardrobe.
Can you drink tap water in Budapest?
The quality of tap water in Budapest is excellent! You can drink it without any fear. If on a hot summer day the waiter serves your lemonade with ice-cube, you do not need to panic. As I said, the quality of the Hungarian tap water is among the firsts worldwide.
How much money should I take to Budapest?
How much forint do you need for a day in budapest? Depending on your needs, Budapest can be extremely affordable. If you’re on a budget you can visit the city with just as little as 10.000 forints a day excluding accommodation.
Is Budapest dangerous at night?
Is Budapest safe at night? As a general rule, any street that isn’t well-lit or seems dodgy is not going to be safe. If you avoid these areas and stick with a group, Budapest can be safe at night. Just make sure to keep your eyes open and stay aware of your surroundings.